VEGAN ORGANIC PLANT-BASED DIET for DOGS
by Margaret Hurley
NOTE: Prepare the organic vegetable mix, organic hummus, grains, and organic boiled sweet potatoes in batches. I make a week’s worth of each and add organic raw apple cider vinegar to the vegetables, grains, and hummus as a nutritional preservative. I do not feed the dogs soy, because it is processed and high-fat. Although your veterinarian may not be familiar with vegan diets for dogs, I still recommend you review this (and any other vegan dog-food recipes you are considering) with her or him.
Breakfast – for each dog:
- ½ cup organic vegan dog kibble (see following page for nutritionals)
- 1 cup mashed boiled sweet potatoes with skins
- 1/3 cup mixture of boiled oat groats, barley, brown basmati rice, broccoli, cauliflower, raw apple cider vinegar
Supplements – morning (given with oil-free hummus):
- 500 mg acetyl L-carnitine (vegan)
- 1000 mg vitamin C (vegan)
- 1000 mg taurine (vegan)
- 250 IU high-potency raw vitamin E (vegan)
Lunch – for each dog:
- ½ cup organic vegan dog kibble
Dinner – for each dog (multiply recipe by number of dogs to be fed) – mix the cooked/chopped vegetables, hummus, nettles, flax seed, etc. together in a bowl and then pour over the kibble. Mix. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top:
- ½ cup organic vegan kibble mixed with:
- 1 cup finely chopped boiled vegetables plus ¼ cup vegetable broth:
- sweet potato (with skins)
- purple cabbage
- porto bello mushrooms
- carrots (with skins)
- broccoli (with stems)
- ¼ cup oil-free hummus – blend on HIGH in food processor:
- garbanzo beans – 29 oz. can
- garbanzo bean miso – ¾ cup
- raw sun flower seeds – ¾ cup
- raw apple cider vinegar – ½ cup
- turmeric and ground pepper – 2 heaping tablespoons
- sea salt
- nutritional yeast – ¾ cup
- 2 tsp. dried nettles
- 2 tsp. ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp. powdered hemp
- 2 tsp. VegeDog (see attached nutritionals – not organic)
- 2 tsp. VegeYeast (see attached nutritionals)
- 1/2 cup basmati rice mixture with barley, oat groats, broccoli, cauliflower and raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs. nutritional yeast (Red Star with B12)
Supplements – evening (given with oil-free hummus):
- taurine 1000 mg (vegan)
- melatonin 6mg (vegan)
EVOLUTION DIET Ultra Life Organic Dog Kibble – the world’s purest and cleanest dog food. It is 100% plant-based, grain-free, gluten-free, non-GMO, and contains Organic Ingredients.
Ultra Life is 100% complete for all life stages of dogs according to AAFCO nutrient profile requirements.
The main ingredients are organic sunflower seeds, organic peas, and organic soybeans. Ultra Life contains all of the essential nutrients and amino-acids, including taurine, L-carnitine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, and vitamin B12 supplement and many others. See INGREDIENTS section for full list of ingredients.
Organic Sunflower Meal, Organic Peas, Organic Soybeans, Organic Soybean Meal, Organic Soybean Oil, Organic Pea Protein Concentrate, Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Dried Molasses, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Cranberries, Dextrose, Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavor (derived from Yeast), L-Carnitine, Taurine, L-Lysine, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Kelp Meal, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract and Cobalt Carbonate.
No animal products, no wheat, no corn, no gluten
All Vegedog™ recipes contain food yeast (not to be confused with the kind that is used for baking) for B vitamins. Brewer’s yeast, nutritional yeast (pale yellow color), or our very special high acid VegeYeast can be used in the recipes.
For optimum health add digestive enzymes to each meal.
Ingredients: Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, L-Methionine, Taurine, Sodium Selenite, d-alpha tocopherol acetate, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ergocalciferol
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min): 8%, Crude Fat (min): 3%, Crude Fiber (max): 2%, Moisture (max): 5.5%, Methionine (min): 4.3%, Calcium (min): 22%, Phosphorus (min): 5%, Iron (min): 700 mg/kg, Copper (min): 50 mg/kg, Zinc (min): 1,710 mg/kg, Iodine (min): 45.5 mg/kg, Selenium (min): 10 mg/kg, Vitamin A (min): 200,000 IU/kg, Vitamin D2 (min): 22,000 IU/kg, Vitamin E (min): 3,130 IU/kg, Riboflavin (min): 160
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles